Thanksgiving Survival Guide



If you celebrate Thanksgiving, you are probably getting ready for the big day. There are only two more days before the Macy's parade begins. (I have memories of sitting on a freezing cold sidewalk in NYC as a child, not enjoying the parade at all. It's MUCH better on TV!)

If you are like me, you are already stressed out. Creating a feast for your family is no small feat! I have discovered a few tips and tricks that might help you deal with the pressure of putting on the perfect Thanksgiving.

1) Scale down your menu. When I was younger and more insane, I used to make a ridiculous number of dishes. After breaking down and bawling in the middle of Thanksgiving, I now pick and choose more carefully. I always ask my daughters which dishes they cannot survive without. And those do not get cut. But do we really need both mashed potatoes AND sweet potatoes? I have cut the sweet potatoes as I am the only one who loves these. (I'll make them the following day and have them with the leftovers.)

2) Use some pre-made convenience items. This strategy used to be anathema to me, but I have learned to compromise for the sake of my sanity. I used to make literally EVERYTHING from scratch. Including muffins, corn bread, the stuffing, the gravy, you name it. These days, I have given up most of that nonsense. My family usually PREFERS store-bought junk! So why am I stressing myself beyond belief to make homemade stuff they won't appreciate? No more, baby.

3) DELEGATE. This is also crucial for my sanity. If I go the martyr route, slaving away in the kitchen all alone while everyone else relaxes and watches TV, I will want to strangle the whole bunch of them well before dinner. My hubby is happy to pitch in. I can usually get my girls to chop something. Cooking together can be part of the celebration.

4) Bring on the booze. Even if you are not normally a day-drinker, this is a day where you will want to start drinking early. And often. I only discovered this coping mechanism in the past couple of years, and I can attest, it works like a charm. If you are in the kitchen, sweating over a hot stove, you deserve a nice glass of wine. Getting totally plastered before the meal is even ready might be going a step too far, but I'll let you decide how much is the right amount for you.

5) And along with the booze, don't forget to snack. I am normally not a big snacker, so this is a real treat for me. Starting around noon, I have hot spinach and artichoke dip ready, along with my favorite organic corn chips. YUM. Throw in some hummus and carrots, maybe some cheese and crackers, and you will have enough to sustain you through the arduous preparations. Remember: this is a holiday, so the calories don't count.

There you have it: my Thanksgiving survival guide. I hope your holiday is filled with hugs and happiness. Bring on the turkey!

Comments