Super Easy Tiramisu



Spring break is here and my youngest is coming home for a week. Poor kid! She doesn't get a vacation on the beach. Instead, she will spend her spring break working full time to make money. I wanted to cheer her up by making a nice dinner to celebrate her first night at home.

We have a freezer full of venison so I am defrosting a whole loin. This is such a delicious cut, similar to a pork loin, very tender but also low in fat. I will cook some bacon and render the fat, then sear the loin on all sides and finish it in the oven. Venison is best when still pink in the center, so I'll attempt not to overcook! For the veggies, I'll roast some Brussels sprouts. I plan to make a sauce using fermented blueberries and red wine.

But the dessert is the subject of this blog: tiramisu! (If you are a purist, then you will want to skip this recipe because I am a cheater and this is FAKE tiramisu! Delicious, but not the real thing.)



As you know, I've been experimenting with coffee kombucha. I really love the results! The longer my batch ferments, the more bubbly and tangy it becomes. It almost tastes like a stout. Very delicious. I am using the coffee kombucha to soak the cake layers for my tiramisu.



Traditionally, lady fingers are used, but we searched all our local stores and found NONE. I decided to substitute a frozen pound cake. Not quite the same, but it will still taste great. I found real marscapone cheese at Trader Joe's. I added semi-sweet chocolate chips instead of chocolate shavings. I will top each serving with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder.



Ingredients:

1 frozen family-size poundcake (I used Sara Lee.)
1/2 -1 cup coffee kombucha (or regular coffee)
8 oz. marscapone cheese (or softened cream cheese)
1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
Whipped cream (homemade or in a can)
cocoa powder, for dusting

In a loaf pan, layer 1/2 inch wide slices of poundcake on the bottom. Dribble coffee kombucha over the slices until soaked. Spoon on whipped marscapone cheese in a thick layer. Top with chocolate chips. Add another layer of cake slices and soak this layer with coffee kombucha. Let entire loaf chill in fridge for several hours. Slice and serve, topped with whipped cream and a dusting of cocoa powder. Makes at least 4 servings. ENJOY!

Comments