Manor Hill Tavern




Located on Old Columbia Pike, near Main Street, in old Ellicott City, Manor Hill Tavern belongs to the same family who owns Victoria's Gastropub. This two-story restaurant and bar is a bit more casual, more farmhouse, with an emphasis on bar food.

Although Manor Hill brews their own beer, and offers a selection of brews on tap, they don't make a stout. Their darkest beer is a porter. I decided to start with an oatmeal stout ($6). Just like my grandmother used to tell me, this is a "breakfast" beer. According to her generation, stout was good for you, full of vitamins and iron. I can only vouch for the taste, which was quite yummy.

My hubby and I both went for the signature burger ($15). (Of course, this comes as no surprise to my loyal blog readers.) The burger is topped with Gouda cheese, bacon, and onions. We opted for the bacon fat fries as our side, which added another $2 to each entree.

We ordered our burgers medium, but both our burgers came out overcooked--definitely well done. Unfortunately, I find this is too often the case. I hoped to see some pink, but there was none to be found. Why bother to ask how we want our burgers if they are going to disregard the answer? My hubby found his burger overly salty and fairly dry, as well. The bacon on top was thick and chewy, a nice addition. The caramelized onions added some much needed moisture, as well as flavor. The brioche bun was light and airy--I would prefer a bit more heft to support the thick patty.

The fries were super skinny--not my favorite--but soft instead of crispy. I actually prefer soft and mushy fries, so this is not a complaint. My hubby received mostly tiny bits of fries, like the scraps from the bottom of the fryer. They came in a little paper sack--very cute--with a sprinkle of bacon bits on top.

The homemade ketchup was more like a BBQ sauce, quite dark with molasses and very sweet. I liked it.

As far as burgers in Howard County go, I'd give this one a solid B. Despite the problem with overcooking, all the components were tasty. The atmosphere at Manor Hill Tavern is also a B--the music was fine, not too loud, but the chairs are very hard and uncomfortable. There are no booths. It's not a place to relax and spend time. The service was fast and fairly friendly--we weren't exactly rushed out of there, but I didn't have the feeling anyone expected us to linger.

I'm still on the hunt for a great burger, cooked to perfection, in a pleasant atmosphere. My favorite place for the best burger in Howard County--Bistro Blanc--has been gone for years. No one has stepped up to fill their shoes. Any suggestions???

#hocofood
hocofood@@@

Comments