Attitude = Altitude

It is very possible that I did not make up this title, but stole it from somewhere in my distant past, and memory does not allow me to give credit where credit is most likely due. So I apologize to the brilliant author who first came up with this slogan!

How high would you like to fly? When I first meet with a client, we always discuss goals and I encourage people to be very specific.  If your goal is to lose "some" weight, how much do you really need to lose? Measurements are key because they can tell you whether or not you are moving toward your goal. And if not, you will probably want to change your strategy. In addition to checking your weight on the scale, I also suggest taking as many measurements as possible.  Sometimes when your weight seems to get stuck, your waist, hips, or thigh measurements could be decreasing.  Or maybe you can now execute 12 push-up's in a row, where before you could barely do 4.  This shows another kind of progress, and building muscle is just as important as losing fat. In fact, the two go hand in hand.

So where does attitude fit in?

Let me give you an example. My husband does Crossfit, which is an unbelievably challenging system for gaining total fitness in all areas, including strength, speed, endurance, agility, and flexibility. He has a Crossfit gym set up in our garage so he can torture himself, and on occasion, his somewhat willing family members.  He is very gung-ho about getting me to lift some heavy weights. And when I say heavy, I am talking numbers approaching my own body weight. I am less gung-ho. But one day, I agree (after some coaxing) to try to deadlift 90 lbs. If you don't know what a deadlift is, basically you squat down, grab the bar with the ENORMOUS weights on either end, and just stand up. I say "just" but when I go to lift that bar, it does not budge. Now my husband is certain that I can lift this much weight, but I am just as certain that I can not. So he unloads all the weight and we start with just the bar, which weighs 45 lbs. by itself. I lift it with no problem. Then 55 lbs. Then 75 lbs. And by the time we get back up to 90, I stand up quite easily. I do it a second and then a third time. No sweat!  Well, possibly a little sweat.  But here's the kicker: my then 17 year old daughter comes in and my husband tells her to lift the 90 lbs.  She steps up to the bar and lifts it with zero preparation. Why? Because she believes she can do it! It's all in the attitude.

I see it all the time in my bootcamp classes. The minute someone says "I can't," is the minute that they fail.  It doesn't really matter what task they are trying to accomplish. If you watch the television show, The Biggest Loser, you will see examples of this in every episode.  An excellent trainer knows that the most important part of the job is empowering the client. The heights to which those contestants soar is truly inspiring and one of the reasons that I never miss an episode. If you can convince yourself that something is possible, then it becomes so. Your mind is the most powerful tool you have at your disposal. Well, that and your glutius maximus.

So my message to you today is to set your sights high. Dream big! Why not? And once you do, write down those goals. Be specific. Take some measurements. And start climbing!

Comments