The Zone Diet: Getting Started

Good morning, my friends!  Today, I want to introduce you to the Zone Diet. First, let me tell you what it is NOT.

The Zone Diet is not a new diet. Dr. Barry Sears published the first Zone book: Enter the Zone in 1995. He details in this volume how he was not originally attempting to create a weight loss program. Instead, Dr. Sears was hoping to create a cure for heart disease. What he discovered was that eating foods in the proper balance could not only prevent heart disease, diabetes, and obesity, this diet promotes top levels of health and performance. This is why Olympic, Crossfit, and many other athletic coaches recommend the Zone diet to their clients and team members.

The Zone Diet is not a fad diet.  There are no particular foods that you have to eat. There are also no particular foods that you must totally avoid. This diet can be used by vegetarians, vegans, omnivores, locavores, basically anyone.

The Zone Diet is not extreme. It is not low carb. It is not high protein, although it may be higher in protein that what you are currently eating if your intake is fairly low. The balance of nutrients is this: 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.  As you can see, it is not particularly low in fat, either.  It is this optimal balance or ratio that puts you in "the Zone." And "the Zone" is a VERY desirable place to reside!

Why? What do you experience in the Zone? Well, in the past 4 days of living in the Zone, I have already lost 1.5 pounds.  This may not sound like a lot to you. My husband has already lost 4 pounds in 4 days, so he is kicking my butt to shreds, but he is guy. For me, this weight loss is right on target. My plan is to take it off and keep it off, so slow and steady wins the race. But weight loss is only one (joyous) effect of the Zone Diet. In addition, I have WAY more energy.  It is a steady, even kind of energy that lasts all day long with no mid-afternoon slump. I have not taken a nap once in this past week, and this pretty unusual for me. (I am a personal trainer and fitness instructor and I workout hard at least 3 days per week, so I am usually really tired on my days off.) As I mentioned in my blog yesterday, I am already seeing increased muscular definition in my upper body, abs, and legs. Sure beats the bloated look! Other benefits include: stronger, thicker hair and nails, no groggy feeling upon waking, light and fluffy poops.  I know, TMI.

So if I have convinced you to give this diet a try, what is the first step? Go to Dr.Sears.com and register. This is FREE! Then go to the Resources section and find the Bodyfat Calculator. (You can also use the Zone books that have a Bodyfat Calculator section.) You will simply insert a few key numbers (weight, height, hip and abdomen measurements) to discover your percentage of bodyfat and lean. NOTE: be sure to measure your abdomen, horizontally around your belly button, and NOT your smallest section or "waist." From there, the calculator will tell you exactly how many blocks you should be eating each day. This number of blocks will automatically make sure that you maintain your total lean mass while beginning to lose fat.

Good luck and please let me know your experiences if you do try this! I am here to support, encourage, and cheer you on. I wish you great health!

Comments

  1. Hey Liz - is the link above right? Doesn't work for me....

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's here: http://drsears.com/

    This one is also good and associated with Dr. Sears: http://www.zonediet.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!