Eggs and More Eggs

Hello again, my dears! I don't know about your house, but our home is ridiculously overrun with eggs these days. Of course, the problem here is our chickens who insist on laying every single day, whether we have used any eggs that day or not. Maybe you have eggs in your home from Easter or Passover.  I posted my matzoh brei recipe the other day which is great for using up your leftover matzoh after your seder and also uses 3 eggs per person.

But is it really healthy to eat all these eggs?

As it turns out, all the hoopla about cholesterol was a big misunderstanding. The cholesterol in egg yolks does not contribute to higher cholesterol in your blood.  In fact, the whole cholesterol issue has turned out to be much more confusing and not nearly as clear cut as drug companies might like you to believe. But for our purposes, eggs offer an inexpensive, high-quality form of protein.

This morning, for breakfast I am using up the extra hard-boiled eggs I had in the fridge. I simply chop them up slightly, warm them in the microwave for one minute, add a teaspoon or two of Irish butter, and mash. A dash of sea salt and a grinding of black pepper over the top and I'm ready to eat. I love hard-boiled eggs this way-- another recipe courtesy of my grandmother! And this breakfast is so fast to make.  Of course I'm going to have to add an orange and a cup of strawberries for my carbs.

Later today, I plan to bake another chocolate cheesecake which will use up four more eggs. Do you have any great, low-carb, grain-free egg recipes to share? If so, please leave them in the comments box! Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments

  1. We get lots of eggs from friends who have chickens up here. I never refuse them so sometimes we end up with a bit too many. That is the only time I ever bake. Last week I made a bunch of stuff for the kids to take to share at school and I made 2 huge frittatas and that was what my daughter and I had for lunch for 3 days. I LOVE EGGS! We are hoping to get chickens when we move next fall so I will be hitting you up on advice on how to raise them! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!