Passover

Just a quick, Passover-friendly recipe for you today! This dish is great for breakfast, but also perfect for a quick lunch or dinner. It is one of my childhood favorites, although I almost never eat it now because it contains wheat.

Matzoh Brei!

My grandmother made this dish for me when I was a child. I have seen recipes that add all kinds of things to this dish, from onions to cinnamon sugar! My version is very plain and simple, which is the way I like it!

In order to make this Zone-compliant, you will need to go heavy on the eggs and light on the matzoh. The ratio will be 3 whole eggs to one sheet of matzoh per person for a 3 block meal. I recommend using whole wheat matzoh if you can find it, so the dish will have at least a little fiber. Otherwise, it can be a bit binding!

Begin with a large heatproof bowl. Crumble the sheets of matzoh into pieces about an inch in diameter. Pour boiling water over the matzoh to cover and let sit for a couple of minutes. Drain off all the water. Crack eggs into the bowl. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Beat the eggs and wet matzoh with a fork.  Add a splash of milk or cream.  Pour into a well greased frying pan and stir while cooking over medium heat, as you would for scrambled eggs. Turn off heat while matzoh brei is still slightly wet so as not to overcook. Let sit for a minute until the eggs are no longer runny but still moist. Serve and enjoy!

Have a happy Passover!

Comments