Product Placement

Normally these days, Mr. Balancing Act does all the household grocery shopping. It hasn't always been this way. In fact, I used to love going to the grocery store each week. But the bulk of our food shopping is now conducted at Costco and Trader Joe's. Perhaps it is because I go there so infrequently, but I find both of these stores quite overwhelming, and for two opposite reasons.

Trader Joe's is awesome, no doubt about that. They carry fantastic products at decent prices. But the stores are quite small, the aisles too narrow, and visually I find it extremely difficult to take in the vast number of products crammed into such a small space. I prefer to read their amusing newsletter and then send Mr. Balancing Act to do the actual hands-on shopping. He zips around like a ninja, hunting and gathering every item on the list in record time. He is never distracted by pretty new products!

Costco, on the opposite pole, is so enormous that I feel I have to wander for days to find anything. Products are constantly moved from one location to another so even after discovering where they stock an item, the next week one must search yet again. Of course, you can find some excellent deals there, especially on their own Kirkland brand products which I have found to be of very high quality. The Greek yogurt is a weekly staple for me these days. Kirkland only makes a nonfat variety, which tastes just great, but you need to remember to add some fat from another source to your meal in order to stay in the Zone.

After this deceptive introduction, I wanted to share with you some products that I discovered myself at Trader Joe's and Costco this week! Yes, I entered the actual buildings in the flesh! And while Mr. Balancing Act swiftly and efficiently gathered the items on our grocery list, I wandered the aisles looking for something interesting.

And I found a container of "Mini Heirloom Tomatoes" at Trader Joe's which I had never seen before. A variety of cherry and grape shaped tomatoes in a rainbow of reds, yellows, and greens, I decided to forgo my usual red grape tomatoes and give these babies a try. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the depth of flavor and sweetness, especially in the red ones. The greens are still unripe, so I am waiting to see if they will ripen on the table or if I'll need to throw them into a cooked recipe.

And over at Costco, I discovered a double package (because you can never buy just one of anything) of goat cheese logs. Again, this is a Kirkland product, and one I have never tried. The price on the goat cheese was under $7 for the two 10.5 oz. logs which seemed like quite a bargain to me. I haven't opened up a package yet, but I am considering some goat cheese on my next salad or possibly in a quiche. If anyone has any great recipes or ideas featuring goat cheese, I am all ears!

Also, if you have come across a new or exciting food product, something healthy yet delicious, please fill us all in! I'll try to keep doing the same.

Comments