The Waldorf

Another salad? I'm afraid so. As spring is unfurling its gorgeous greenness, I am drawn toward eating more raw foods, fresh fruits and leafy green veggies. No longer feeling like a pot of bubbling hot chili!

One of my very favorite salads is the Waldorf. I know it has some kind of history linked to the Waldorf Hotel but don't ask me for any more details than that! Whatever! It is a crunchy, chunky, delicious salad which combines fruit, veggies, and nuts with a creamy dressing. How can you go wrong?

Of course, to make this a Zone meal, you need to select a protein to add to your Waldorf. I always add roasted chicken breast which you know I have on hand! Other possibilities might be shrimp, hard-boiled eggs, cubes of ham or turkey breast, and maybe tofu?? Not sure about that last one! If you are using chicken, 3 oz. is the correct portion for a 3 block meal.

Next, you will need to chop up one stalk of celery, one half of an apple, one whole carrot or a few baby ones, one small cucumber, and a few stalks of parsley. Also add about 3 walnuts. Some people might want to use pecans, but for me, walnuts are perfect in combination with apples. I also like to add about 3 bread and butter pickle slices, chopped. This may sound odd, but I think it adds a nice sweet and sour touch.

For my dressing, I begin with a teaspoon of Hellmann's mayo. You can of course make your own mayo which would be even healthier. Or you can omit the mayo completely. Then add a tablespoon or two of thick Greek yogurt. This will make the creamiest dressing. If you only have regular, plain yogurt then use that. Buttermilk is also fine, but not as creamy. Sour cream will work, too.  Add a little dash of sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and blend well.

Pour the dressing over the chopped veggies and stir well to coat. Then toss the veggies and chicken with a heaping pile of torn romaine lettuce until the dressing covers everything. How does this sound for lunch today? If you want to use the salad for more than one meal, omit the lettuce and just save the chopped veggies in the dressing for a day or two. Bon appetit!

Comments