Another treat!

If you are attempting to lose weight, you might just want to skip today's post. I apologize in advance for even putting this out there!

I was cruising around on Facebook and saw an ad for the "best brownies" and I just had to click on it. I was led to a page called Beyond Diet and instructed to click on the "like" button in order to see the brownie recipe. Like an obedient pooch, I promptly clicked and received my treat. And to my surprise, the recipe did not look half bad! It was grain-free and sugar-free, two big pluses in my book. In place of the flour was a can of black beans, adding a little protein and lots of fiber. Considering that I have a student in my Wednesday morning class who just had a milestone birthday, I decided to bake up a batch of these brownies pronto and bring them into class to help her celebrate.

I did make a few changes to the basic recipe. For one thing, we don't have any Truvia or stevia powder in the house. I have only tasted a yogurt product which used Truvia once and I have to say, I did not like the taste. I know it is natural and low calorie, but to me, flavor is the bottom line. So I substituted honey. The recipe also called for cayenne pepper. I am not opposed to this at all, but since I planned to share the brownies with my class, I thought I'd keep them a bit more mainstream. So I substituted instant coffee. I omitted the nuts and kept my version plain and simple.

Here is the recipe after all my tweaking! If you'd prefer to take a peek at the original, check out Beyond Diet on Facebook and follow all the instructions like a good dog.

Black Bean Brownies

5 Tablespoons melted butter
5 Tablespoon honey (or to taste)
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon instant coffee
1 can (15.5 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained (my beans had salt added so I omitted the extra salt)

Preheat oven to 350. Mix ingredients in order given. Use hand held blender or food processor to process the black beans into the mixture at the end. Taste batter and adjust for sweetness by adding more honey if needed. Spray or grease an 8x8 square pan and pour batter in. Bake at 350 for about 30 minutes. Let cool before cutting into 16 small squares. 1 brownie = 1 block of carbs, 1 block of fat.

Comments

  1. I can't wait to try these Liz now that I am trying hard to stay on my wheat/gluten free diet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!