Banana Oat Cookies

When I first saw the recipe for banana cookies in The Good Stuff Cookbook by Spike Mendelsohn with Micheline Mendelsohn, I knew I'd have to try them. As I've mentioned before, this book is dangerous reading. It is filled with drool-inducing photographs of all the kinds of foods we crave. Especially when under stress, which has become my current theme.

Yesterday I blogged about stress eating and how to attempt to tame that monster. I still stand by my words!  If you decide to bake up a batch of these cookies, try to go easy on them. Don't forget to eat some protein first, drink your water, etc. If you have a couple of cookies after that, it won't be the end of the world.

I tweaked the recipe as always, because I can never leave well enough alone. I did not eliminate all the grains, or even all the wheat flour as I sometimes do. I also made my first batch with white sugar (are you fainting right now?) as I wanted the texture to be right. I might try switching to half honey for the next batch which I am thinking of baking up today!

As you might guess, these are soft, moist cookies. They are best eaten soon after they are baked. They will keep several days in a sealed tupperware container, but their texture becomes even softer and moister, and they tend to stick together.

Banana Oat Cookies

1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, soft
1 large egg
2 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 teas. baking soda
1 teas. salt
1/2 cup roasted peanuts (or walnuts)
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup white whole wheat flour (or more if needed)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a cookie sheet with oil or grease with butter.

Blend butter and sugar with an electric mixer. Add egg and banana. Blend well. Add baking soda and let the mixture sit. In a food processor, pulse the nuts and oats until finely ground. Add the salt. Fold the ground mixture into the banana batter. Add the flour and stir gently until combined. If your batter seems too runny, add a little more flour. This is not a stiff dough, though. Drop dough by the teaspoonful onto the greased sheet. Leave about 2 inches between cookies. Bake for about 15 minutes, but begin to check after 10. Cookies should be golden on the top. Let sit for a couple of minutes to cool before removing from the sheet. Should make at least 2 dozen cookies. Enjoy in moderation!

Comments