Cheer Up!

It is possible you are thinking it is way too late to become a cheerleader at your age.  Maybe if you had started back in middle school. When I was in middle school (we called it junior high back then) I wanted to be a cheerleader. I practiced those jumps, flinging my feet high into the air until my thighs burned and I could barely climb the stairs. I was itching for one of those cute pleated skirts and a pair of those black and white saddle shoes they wore. At the try-outs, I was doing an awesome job until I messed up and said, "SH&T!" really loudly. The gym teachers snickered behind their fists but they couldn't let a potty-mouth like me onto the squad. True story.

Today I get to practice my cheer-leading skills in all the classes I teach. I try to take the time to notice how well each individual is doing and point out their strengths. Sometimes just a "WOOT" and a smile are enough to make someone's day. But even if you are not a teacher, you can still be a cheer-leader.

I have noticed in my classes that when I tell someone (or myself) that he or she can do something, that positive statement usually proves to be true. As I have said before, attitude is everything. My latest strength goal for myself is pull-up's. At first I thought my goal should be around 7 straight pull-up's. I think in Crossfit they call these "strict" pull-up's because they involve no momentum or "kipping." They are a pure strength move and notoriously difficult for women. So when I am approaching the pull-up bar, I begin to talk to myself.  "You're going to do 5 today," I say, in a confident and encouraging tone. And usually I do what I tell myself to. I may even up that goal to 10 by the end of the summer. My husband, Mr. Balancing Act, thinks I can do this. That's because he is my biggest and most consistent cheer-leader.

If you have a particular goal you are working toward, don't forget the cheer-leading! Whether you are trying to work up to running a marathon or a 5K, keep up the positive self-talk. As you run, fill your mind with images of crossing that finish line, of the crowds smiling and cheering you on, of your loved ones' proud faces. Develop a mantra which resonates with you and repeat it to yourself as you run, or swim, or bike toward your goal. It can be anything simple that keeps you moving and feeling positive.

And while you are at it, surround yourself with supportive, optimistic people who will step in and shout cheers for you when your throat gets sore, your legs get heavy, and/or your spirit begins to flag. You will do the same for them when they need you, too. Never underestimate the power of a good cheer-leader!

Comments