Portion Control

If you are currently attempting to lose weight, watching the size of your portions is probably one of the two most important factors which will ensure your success. And there is a very good chance that you will resist and rebel against this advice!

I have noticed repeatedly in myself, and my clients, a desire to diet "buffet-style." By this I mean an all-you-can-eat mentality. This is probably the main factor that drew me to the Atkins diet years ago. It is the idea that if you cut out certain foods, and only eat meat, for example, you can gorge yourself silly on it. (Atkins does not actually suggest gorging. Only that you should eat until you are satiated.) Maybe we think that the lack of restriction in the amount we eat will make up for the limited choices. Or maybe, deep down, we are just hogs? (I speak for myself here.)

However, I now believe that portion control is key to losing weight. And the Zone diet is one of the only plans I have found that tells you exactly how much you should be eating, based on your body size and activity level. In order to measure your portions accurately, I have found that a digital food scale is a gigantic help. Although I have been following the Zone for years now, with some short breaks to explore other avenues, I still measure my protein portions on my food scale every single day. It is quick and easy, and absolutely accurate. Because getting the right amount of protein is so vital, I don't want to leave this to chance. Eyeballing your portions might be close enough when a scale is not available, but why run that risk at home? Adequate protein intake ensures that muscle mass is maintained so that weight loss comes from fat, not muscle.

There are several factors which will help you with portion control. The first is planning. Planning your meals and snacks ahead of time is vital when it comes to weight loss. When you have a plan, with your correct portions predetermined, it is much less likely that you will decide to suddenly eat an entire cake. I hope. And the second recommendation is never eat out of a container or bag or pan. Always get a small plate or bowl and serve yourself the correctly sized portion. Then sit down at the table and eat your food mindfully. Take small bites, chew well, and really taste your food. Make a small portion last as long as possible. If you find you are still hungry at the end of a meal, it is likely that you ate too fast and your body just hasn't registered that fullness yet. Drink some water and wait. Or better yet, get up and go for a walk. Take the dog out. Leave the kitchen and enjoy another activity for a while and the thoughts of food will evaporate.

The holiday weekend, I hope you have many delicious and enjoyable meals with your family and friends, while watching your portions and maybe even losing a little weight!

Comments