Eating Out

I haven't talked a lot about restaurant meals because if you are trying to lose weight, eating out is just not the way to go. Restaurant food is notoriously fat-making, containing loads more sodium, fat, and sugar than anything you'd normally make at home. Sure, the stuff tastes delicious, but you really have no idea exactly what they've put in there to make it so yummy! If weight loss is a top priority for you, prepare your own meals from ingredients that you have carefully selected and retain complete control over your nutrition and health. All the restaurants will still be there when you are thin!

However, there are situations where eating out is mandated. Maybe your boss insists on taking you out for lunch. Or perhaps your mother comes to visit you for 2 weeks and her favorite activity is eating out. This is my current situation. My mom is 82 years young but she is not up for long hikes, hours of zumba, or bootcamp workouts, believe it or not! No, she prefers leisurely hours of shopping and eating out. So off I go again, to another restaurant or cafe, all while attempting not to gain another pound!

Here is my strategy:

First of all, I plan ahead. I know that we are eating at Victoria's Gastro Pub tonight. This is one of our favorite Howard County restaurants with a British flair. The fish and chips are to die for, sporting a scrumptious crab-laced dipping sauce, so this is what I am planning to order. Not exactly diet food, right? Quite the opposite, in fact. So for the earlier part of the day, I will be absolutely pristine in my diet. Greek yogurt and strawberries, as usual, for breakfast. And I'll run out to the garden to gather some fresh greens for lunch, topped with a little lean beef.

Second, I'll eat only what my body really needs. Every restaurant differs in terms of portion size, so I may be able to eat my whole dinner, but I wouldn't count on it. Usually with an American-style restaurant, I eat about half of a normal entree. With a cheeseburger, I always cut it in half to begin with, eat half and take the rest home. Yes, I am extremely frugal and I hate wasting food with a white-hot, burning hatred! So I'll have the rest for another meal at home. And while I never eat bread at home, if a restaurant has fabulous bread I might have a taste. After all, this is a special occasion and it is okay to splurge a bit.

You can probably tell from my examples that I don't always order "diet" food when I eat out. In fact, I rarely get a salad in a restaurant, unless that is what I am craving and I know the place does a great salad. In the past, I always ordered seafood when I ate out because I almost never cooked it at home. These days, I eat out fairly rarely, so I try to order something that I can't or don't usually make at home. I believe that eating out should be a special treat and I try to enjoy myself thoroughly, without being a total hog. I almost never get dessert because I just can't fit another bite into my stomach by that point in the meal.

Perhaps your lifestyle is completely different than mine and there is some reason for you to eat out all the time. In this case, I would recommend the opposite approach. That is, no splurging! Anyone who is splurging several times a week either has a phenomenal metabolism or is already gaining weight. If you are seeking weight-loss while eating in restaurants, opt for the salads topped with lean meats or fish. Leave off the croutons and go easy on the dressing. Skip the bread, rolls, chips, fries, and desserts. Drink lots of lovely ice water with a twist of lemon or go for an unsweetened iced tea. Never waste your calories on a beverage! And remember to enjoy the company and the conversation. Eat slowly and allow your body to register its fullness. A meal is much more than just the food.

So wish me luck! I still have a few more meals out this week with my mother and my family. The celebrations abound as my oldest daughter has just graduated high school, and we have 2 family birthdays in the first half of June. My goal is not to gain a single pound!

Comments