Health = Beauty

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing you are not 100% satisfied with your looks. For most of us, especially women, that is a given. I would bet that if I were to interview Jennifer Aniston, Angelina Jolie, and Halle Berry, they would each be able to point out some flaw, however minor to the rest of us, that plagues them. And if, while in the process, I were to pull down my pants and give these women a look at my cellulite, they would run screaming from the room, immediately fire their security teams, and then say a brief but heartfelt prayer of gratitude that they were not burdened with my butt.

But what are you going to do?

Sure, I could turn to liposuction, other forms of surgery, or simply settle for self-loathing. But instead, I am going to make a case today for aiming for health. And by health, I mean wholeness. Balance.

When I decided to name my blog Balance Salad, and call myself Balancing Act, this is exactly what I was thinking. In order to reach for health and wholeness, we need to seek balance. A balance of caring for the physical, mental, emotional, energetic, and spiritual aspects of one's self. A balance of caring for oneself, one's spouse or partner, one's children, parents, other family, friends, students, colleagues, work, and the list could go on. When balance is attained, however precariously or temporarily, is it a thing of beauty.

When a body is fed with whole, healthy, honest food and pure, clean water, it is impossible for the health that is created not to shine through the skin, the eyes, the attitude of the healthy person. A person who is caring for themselves and others in a balanced way is going to be more attractive to others. It is just a fact of life that health is attractive. Why do men go for women with ample breasts? Breasts are a sign of health and fertility, as are curvy hips and big butts. What about my cellulite? Well, maybe I wouldn't go quite that far.

But my point about Jennifer, Angelina, and Halle still holds true. No matter what we might think is wrong with us, most other people would never even notice it. Or if they did, they wouldn't care one iota. Because a tiny mole, flabby upper arms, frizzy hair, or even some hideous cellulite is nothing compared to a real, honest-to-goodness smile and a healthy attitude. So how about we all focus on the things that are right and great and beautiful in our lives and in our bodies and souls? There is so much there to be proud of and thankful for. Instead of feeling like crap because of something trivial, let's start building health and balance. Let that positive attitude shine through in all you do today and all the lives that you touch.

Comments