It's a Wrap!

Yup, I'm making wraps. I know, I told you I avoid all grains and never let a piece of bread pass my lips, yadda yadda yadda. So I lied. The truth is, on a rare occasion, a sandwich of sorts may be called for! And today I am making wraps because I have a full day of Zumba training tomorrow in West Virginia. As part of the training, we have a "working lunch" which means a lecture as we eat. So no time to go out, although I would have brought my own food either way.

We had these Reduced Carb Whole Wheat Tortillas from Trader Joe's in the fridge. I bought them for my daughter when she wanted to make some wraps, and I thought I'd use them up. They are high in fiber. In fact, water is the first ingredient and wheat fiber is the second. One wrap contains 10 grams of carbs, but 7 of those are fiber! Of course, they contain no sugar, no corn syrup, no trans-fats. Check your labels because other brands will have all of these!

Then, to top my tortillas, I chose Applegate's Herb Turkey Breast, also purchased at Trader Joe's. This was a splurge at over $4 for only about 7 ounces. But the turkey is organic, and the herbs are roasted right in the meat! YUM! 3 slices of turkey per wrap will give you about 2-3 ounces of lean protein. I added about a half ounce of goat cheese per wrap, as well as spicy brown mustard for some tang. Then I picked fresh greens from my garden, including arugula, various lettuces, and swiss chard, to lay on top of the turkey. I ended up with 3 wraps from one package of turkey. Hopefully these will last me all day as I will be leaving my house before breakfast and arriving back home after dinner!

In addition, I had some Trader Joe's Organic Hummus in the fridge. I don't know if you have ever shopped for hummus there, but be prepared to spend at least an hour perusing all the flavors! Last time I sent my husband, Mr. Balancing Act, there for hummus, he brought back the "original" flavor which had NO tahini! I was quite flabbergasted that they would even make such a variety, let alone call it "original!" Luckily he ate that up because what is the point of hummus without tahini, I ask you? Anyway, the organic variety is true hummus WITH tahini and is heavenly! All the varieties at Trader Joe's contain zero preservatives which I can always taste in regular, store-bought hummus. Again, check your labels. I packed my hummus with a baggie full of raw baby carrots to dip.

Last, but not at all least, I packed a container of cherries, also purchased at Trader Joe's. This will round out my lunch with a little something sweet.

If you are traveling for work, or for pleasure, you might consider making a bunch of wraps to take along. They are easily portable, can be filled with all types of lean protein, low-fat cheeses, and healthy veggies, and make a delicious lunch or snack. Happy wrapping!

Comments