Let's Get Fruity

As I was sitting in front of my laptop this morning, wondering what to blog about today, I noticed that a good portion of our very large dining table is currently covered with fruit.

My husband, Mr. Balancing Act, did the shopping yesterday and one of the items I put on the list was fruit. I left it purposely vague as I wanted him to just bring home whatever looked good. And he did not skimp on the good-looking fruit!

The collection on the table came from Trader Joe's. As I have mentioned to you before, we do almost all our shopping now at Costco and Trader Joe's, which sit together in the same shopping center in Columbia, Maryland. If you are somewhere in the hinterlands, far from any Trader Joe's, I am truly sorry.

This is what my hubby brought home yesterday: a Tuscan melon that already smells fabulous; a basket of peaches that is designed to ripen on the table; a bunch of bananas; and a container of velvety, fresh apricots. The grape tomatoes are also on the table as it is not recommended that one refrigerate these.

For breakfast this morning, I think I will slice into that melon. I picked a bunch of blueberries yesterday from our garden, so I will mix up a bowl of melon chunks, blueberries and Greek yogurt. If you don't have your own blueberry bushes outside your front door, you can always visit a pick-your-own farm.

We are extremely lucky here in western Howard County because Larriland Farm has a wide range of both fruits and vegetables for picking, beginning with strawberries in May and continuing through apples into early November. My family heads out there every summer and fall to pick the fruits we don't grow here at home. Larriland has blueberry picking today, if you aren't too busy! Red raspberry picking also opens today. Apparently the sour cherries were damaged by frost so the crop is reduced this year. You might be able to pick those in about a week. Before you drive over there to pick, always check the website which is updated daily at www.pickyourown.com.

Now that summer is here, there really is no excuse for snacking on sugary junkfood or empty calories! Fruit is plentiful, ripe, in season, and way more delicious than that doughnut. Grab some gorgeous fruit today and enjoy a juicy taste of summer!

hocofood@@@

Comments