Pasta Salad (with or without the pasta)

I know when you saw this title you were thinking, "That woman who claims she never eats any grains sure posts a lot of grain-filled recipes!" Ha! You are right! And I did recently make this recipe, with whole grain pasta included, mostly for my daughter who loves it. I ate several portions as well, skipping the pasta, and the salad is just as good with no grain products!

The original recipe came from Cooking Light magazine several years ago. I made some small changes, adding extra protein with the turkey breast and reducing the amount of pasta by half. You can also omit the pasta all together. Here is my updated version:

2/3 cup of lowfat sour cream or Greek yogurt
1/3 cup mayo (I use Hellmann's or you can make your own healthier version)
2 TB. chopped fresh parsley
About 10 bread and butter pickle slices, chopped
1-2 TB spicy brown mustard (I like more!)
1/4 t. freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/2 cup diced cheddar cheese, lowfat (optional)
1/2 cup diced carrots
1/2 cup diced red pepper
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup diced radishes
1 cup diced lean ham
1 cup diced turkey breast
2 cups cooked whole grain pasta, such as macaroni or rotini (optional)

Combine all dressing ingredients in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add everything else and toss well to coat completely. Cover bowl and chill before serving. Pile on top of lettuce or mixed greens. Makes at least 4-6 large servings for a cold lunch or dinner. Enjoy!



Comments

  1. That's my kind of lunch (sans the pasta)! Thanks for sharing these awesome recipes Liz!
    Kari

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!