Stay-cation...at the Spa!

You are probably thinking, "What on earth is she talking about now? How can you have a stay-cation--meaning staying at home to vacation-- and also be at the spa???" Well, I am now inventing a NEW term: SPA-cation. Definition: n. staying home and pampering oneself AS IF at the spa!

Summer is almost officially here, and I am officially psyched! I am planning some delicious at-home pampering to celebrate. What are some elements of a spa visit that I can replicate here at home? I'm glad you asked!

First, the facial! I have told you numerous times that I'm a control freak. Well, when I tell you that I actually PREFER to give myself a facial, you may begin to believe me! I am SUPER picky about the products I put on my skin, especially my face, so I like to carefully select these products myself, reading each ingredient and making sure nothing toxic is sneaking onto my face. I avoid all products containing mineral oil, petrolatum, parabens, and quaternium. I can give myself a fantastic facial using a gentle facial scrub, an all-natural mask, a light spritzing of toner, and a moisturizer to finish.

The pedicure is a top priority for my spa-cation. I like to paint my toenails for the summer months. Bright, fun colors remind me of jellybeans every time I look at my toes. Too bad I don't own any of those adorable little fish that eat the dead skin off your feet! But I do own a decent selection of nail polish colors that will have to suffice. After the polish is completely dry, I'll apply a natural peppermint-scented foot lotion and give my feet a thorough massage.

In addition, all my meals will fit the spa theme. I am emphasizing fresh, raw fruits and veggies. I'll definitely have salmon for either lunch or dinner, as salmon is so healthy for your brain, your skin, and your mood. I'll pick some more fresh blueberries for my breakfast, some salad greens for lunch, and then some kale to cook for dinner. I am eliminating all sugar, refined grains, processed foods, and junk from my spa-cation. I will drink lots of pure water as well as some freshly made iced tea with a squeeze of lemon.

Although I can't neglect my duties here at home, like walking and feeding my dogs, I will also take plenty of time for relaxation. I'll bask in the warm sunshine, soaking up that Vitamin D. I'll read through some old magazines that I just can't seem to throw away. (For some reason, I can only read magazines during the summer!) I'll exercise as usual, but maybe do some extra foam-rolling in place of the deep-tissue massage that I might get at an actual spa.

Will you join me this weekend on a spa-cation? Maybe you can't do a full day, but even an hour or two can bring you the stress relief your body and mind are craving! Let me know if you discover some more wonderful ideas that enhance your home spa experience.

Comments