Super Quick Dinner

Last night I was exhausted. I had a long day which included two classes in the morning, a visit to the library, a very quick lunch, and then TWO, yes count them TWO, trips to the vet. Our German Shepherd is now ten years old and suffering from so many problems it is impossible to enumerate them all in one blog post. And I'm quite sure we have the SLOOOOOOOWEST veterinarian practice in the US. It is rare that we escape in under an hour and a half. So you might think that yesterday, when I was home in under an hour, with medication and receipt in hand, I should have been suspicious. Well, after reading my receipt carefully, I realized the vet had only given my dog ONE of the TWO shots that he had to have. We are going to board him when we go on vacation, so this is not a shot I could skip for now. So back in the car we went. Thankfully, the second visit was extremely brief and I was home again in a matter of minutes, not hours. And I was hungry!

I whipped up the following dinner, which was super quick and easy, but combined some delicious flavors. So delicious, in fact, that I decided the combination might be worth sharing with you all.

Bacon Teriyaki Salmon and Broccoli

4 slices of all natural, uncured bacon (nitrate-free, from Trader Joe's)
4 Trident frozen salmon burgers (from Costco)
1-2 pounds frozen organic broccoli florettes (from Trader Joe's)
1-2 TB bottled teriyaki sauce, all natural (called "Soyaki" from Trader Joe's)

Fry the bacon in a large, cast iron skillet until all the fat has been rendered. Remove bacon slices onto a paper towel and pour off almost all the bacon fat, leaving just a thin coating on the pan. Chop bacon slices finely.

Add 4 salmon burgers to the pan and cook about 3-4 minutes per side or until golden brown and warmed through. Remove salmon burgers from the pan and add broccoli florettes. Stir fry the broccoli until bright green and heated through.

Place one salmon burger and one quarter of the broccoli on a plate. Sprinkle with teriyaki sauce and chopped bacon. Serves 4. For a Zone compliant meal, you will need at least 3 cups of broccoli per person, or add another veggies or fruit to your meal. Enjoy!

Comments