Waldorf with a Twist

Yes, it's another salad today. Summer is officially here and DANG! It is HOT! I made this salad for lunch because it is not just cool and raw, but also very juicy! Since I discovered my chronic dehydration, I am not only measuring the water I drink each day (and writing it down!) I am also adding lots more fresh fruit and veggies to up my water consumption. Not to mention all that excellent fiber!

This is not really even close to a traditional Waldorf Salad. I subbed peaches for the apples, roasted almonds for the walnuts, kept the celery in there, but threw in some extra stuff, too. Well, you'll see. Here is the recipe:

Waldorf Salad with a Southern Twist (for one)


3 ounces roasted chicken breast, cubed
1 small head butter lettuce
1 ripe peach, diced
1 rib of celery, diced
1/2 of a red pepper, diced
1 small Persian cucumber, sliced
1 green onion, sliced
1 ounce goat cheese
10 roasted almonds

Dressing: Mix one teaspoon Hellmann's mayo with 1-2 tablespoons plain yogurt. Add a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of salt, and a grinding of fresh black pepper.

Line a large bowl with the lettuce. Toss all the chunky fruit, veggies, and nuts in the dressing. Pour on top of the lettuce and then top with chicken and goat cheese. Chow down!


Comments