Chipotle

I've heard all kinds of good things about Chipotle now for years, and today we finally tried some take-out. Of course, I went online to check out the menu ahead of time. If you haven't been there yet, they have quite a variety of offerings, including big burritos, burrito bowls (which have no tortilla), salads, soft and crispy tacos, plus chips and guacamole.

The main thing I have heard about Chipotle is that the food is super fresh. And it did not disappoint in this arena. However, my husband, Mr. Balancing Act, went to their venue at the Columbia Mall in Howard County, and he had to wait on line for about 20 minutes at 2:30pm on Sunday afternoon before placing his order. He was starving so it is pretty amazing that he didn't give up and just go to McDonald's instead. When he got home with the food, he inhaled his burrito so quickly it was a blur of tortilla and teeth. I think he enjoyed it, though I'm not sure if he actually tasted it.

My two daughters ordered burrito bowls which came with rice, beans, chicken, cheese, chopped tomato salsa, corn, and lettuce. I ordered a salad with chicken and everything else, meaning all the veggies they had, plus avocado. But I guess "everything" meant rice and corn, too, because my salad ended up looking pretty much the same as the burrito bowls. Not sure if this was a mistake.

Despite the strangeness of warm rice in my "salad," I found all the food to be very fresh, flavorful, quite spicy, and delicious. The avocado was completely green without a hint of brown, the lettuce all crisp and freshly cut, no dark edges. The chicken was juicy and full of smoky, grilled flavor.

Best of all, if you get a salad (minus the rice!) you can easily and deliciously stick to your Zone diet. The portion of veggies and meat is perfect for a 3 block meal. Be sure to add avocado for your healthy fat. Stay away from the chips, tortillas, and taco shells and your meal will be not just yummy, but also fairly low in calories and high in nutrients. Salud!

hocofood@@@

Comments