Japanese Wine Berries

There is nothing tricky about my title today. If you don't know about these yummy berries, then let me introduce you! They grow wild all over the place. I have picked them in my back yard in Howard County, Maryland and also in upstate New York. Apparently, they grow throughout North America so you might be able to find them in your own backyard, too.

Japanese Wine Berries are very similar to raspberries, in terms of the way they grow, look, and taste. Similar, but not exactly the same. These wild berries grow on canes that are extremely long (up to 9 feet) and characteristically hairy, instead of thorny. It is almost impossible to mistake this species for anything else, so it is fairly safe for you to go out and pick them, even as a novice. Take a gander at some photos on the web first, so you have a good idea, and then go hunting. The berries will be fully red when ripe, and orangy-red when almost ripe. They feel a little bit sticky when you touch them.



The flavor of the berries is both sweet and tart, even when fully ripe. I enjoy this combination very much. They will keep in the fridge for a short time, similar to raspberries, but mine almost never make it to the fridge. Most go straight into my mouth as they are being picked!

I did search the web to find information on the nutrients in wine berries, but I was not in luck. I would guess they have a similar nutritional profile to red raspberries, which are full of antioxidants, Vitamins C, A, and E, as well as loads of fiber and many minerals. If anyone knows more about the nutritional value of wine berries, I'd love to learn about it!

As you have heard before, I get very excited about any kind of freebie in life. And Japanese wine berries are a lovely and delicious freebie in my own garden, and quite possibly in yours, too. Look around and let me know if you find some. They are ripe right now!

hocofood@@@

Comments

  1. Just went out gathering wild blackberries myself today. If you're into pinning, or looking for a great excuse to start, considering joining this group - http://pinterest.com/jessienewburn/howard-county-maryland-wild-edibles/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!