Another Quinoa Cake

In order to make my birthday cupcakes back in June, I purchased a mega-size bag of organic quinoa from Costco. So now I have to find more recipes to use up all that lovely seed! I would eat those chocolate quinoa cupcakes every day if I didn't give a hoot about the size of my waist. Since I give a very big hoot, I am in search of healthier, less caloric ways to incorporate this grain into my diet.

The recipe for today is another type of cake, perhaps just a tad healthier than the chocolate quinoa cupcakes. This recipe comes from Whole Grains by Lorna Sass. I have mentioned her cookbooks before as they are a favorite of mine. She is a very creative cook, consistently coming up with interesting combinations in every category.

My daughter made this cake for me last night, not for any special occasion, but just because she loves to bake. I have been wanting to try the recipe myself for ages, but I've also been reducing my sugar intake. This cake is not extremely low in sugar, or carbs, but it contains a large portion of whole grains, and a relatively small portion of both flour and sugar. Because this was the first time making the recipe, we stuck to the original version with almost no substitutions or improvisations. Not my usual style! When I make this cake the next time, I will most likely substitute almond meal for the whole grain flour and about a half cup of honey for the cup of brown sugar. I'll probably add some ground ginger, too.

This is not to say there is anything wrong with the original version! The cake came out very moist, just sweet enough, and not in need of any type of frosting whatsoever. It has a chewy kind of texture that I love. I hope you love it, too!

Quinoa Cake with Crystallized Ginger

1 cup uncooked quinoa
1 cup spelt flour (we used white whole wheat)
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teas. baking powder
1/2 teas. baking soda
1/8 teas. salt
1 cup chopped brazil nuts
4-6 TB. chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 cup golden raisins
3 large eggs
1/2 cup orange juice (we used coconut milk)
1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
2 teas. vanilla

Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Cook the quinoa grains in the boiling water until translucent with no hard dot of starch in the center. (11-14 minutes) Drain thoroughly thru a fine mesh strainer. Cool.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter or spray a baking pan approx. 11 by 7 inches.

In large bowl, combine all dry ingredients. Mix all liquid ingredients separately. Stir the liquids into the dry ingredients. Add the cooked quinoa and mix just until blended. Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake 45-60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean. Cool and cut into about 15 squares.

Comments