Banana Squash Bread

Last Friday, my good friend Patti gave me some golden yellow summer squash. So far, I have made a pot of chili with yellow squash, and now this banana quick bread. And I still have more squash in the fridge so I am going to have to keep on cooking!

I found this recipe in a cookbook for kids awhile back, copied it out longhand, and tucked it away. Unfortunately I did not make a note of the name of the cookbook nor its author. I apologize for not giving credit where credit is due. Next time I go to the library, I'll try to find the book again so as to credit its author properly, however late.

As you know, I try to bake grain-free goodies usually, but this bread does contain wheat flour. I substituted honey for the turbinado sugar in the original recipe, as well as yellow squash for the zucchini that was called for. The chia seeds are also my own addition. I am throwing those little devils into practically everything I eat these days! If you wanted to go grain-free on this recipe, you could replace the wheat flour with ground almond flour.

Very Moist Banana Squash Bread

1 medium yellow squash (or zucchini)
2 large eggs
1/2 cup honey (or turbinado sugar)
3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
2 t. vanilla
2 t. cinnamon
1 ripe banana
1 t. chia seeds
1/2 cup golden raisins
1 and 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
2 t. baking powder
1/4 t. sea salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x4 loaf pan. Grate squash, wrap in a clean towel and squeeze dry. Beat eggs and honey in blender for 3 minutes. Add oil, vanilla, and banana. Stir dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Pour liquids from blender into bowl. Add squash and raisins. Mix lightly until just combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake in center of oven for at least 45 minutes. Test in the center of loaf to be sure it is done. My loaf took closer to a full hour.

This bread is dense and moist, slightly but not overly sweet. A thin slice slathered in peanut or almond butter is a delicious, yet almost healthy, treat! Let me know if you bake this loaf and how you like it.

Comments