A Modified Fast

After reading more about the NUMEROUS benefits of fasting, I decided to go ahead and give it another try. As I have mentioned before, my first forays into the world of fasting were sadly short. However, the more I researched and discussed the possible ways to execute a fast, the more I became convinced that I could pull it off.

The key for me was in modifying the concept. The "complete" fast, with nothing entering the body whatsoever, not even water (!!!) was never going to be an option for me. You know how I feel about drinking water! I know where every single bathroom in every single establishment in the the entire county is located. I am a connoisseur of public bathrooms as I frequent them so very frequently. (This is due to my constant consumption of water.) (Duh.)

Anyway, beyond just the drinking of water, I learned that other liquids are perfectly permissible on a modified fast. Herbal teas, vegetable and fruit juices, and broths, for example, are all fine. (I recently posted a recipe for a broth specifically designed for use during an autumn fast. See Autumn Rejuvenation.)

So one way of modifying your fast would be to consume various types of liquids. Another possibility is to play with the timing of the fast. When you wake up in the morning, you have already been fasting for at least 8-9 hours, and most likely more than that. Continuing from that point to fast until dinnertime gives you just about a 24 hour fast! Suddenly this seemed very doable to me. In the past, I have experimented with Intermittent Fasting: condensing the hours during which one eats and expanding the hours during which one fasts each 24 hour period. I discovered that skipping breakfast did not cause the world to end. This modified fast I was contemplating just extended that time to include skipping lunch as well. And not even totally skipping, if I were to have some kind of broth or juice.

And I made it through! Although I did end up with a headache and slight dizziness by dinnertime. While fasting, I managed to complete an hour of Zumba practice, plus an hour long walk with my dogs. The rest of my day was taken up with a bath and a nap. If you plan to attempt a fast, I would strongly recommend a nap in the middle of it. By the time you get up, get organized, and then make dinner, it will be time to break your fast. Totally doable!

Comments