Secret Pleasures!

In my ongoing research on menopause, I came across a fantastic little book called The Secret Pleasures of Menopause by Dr. Cristiane Northrup. You have certainly heard of her before. She has written numerous volumes on women's health. I strongly recommend all of her work! But if you are experiencing, or preparing for, menopause, you might want to check this one out.

When I took it out of the library, I wasn't sure exactly what to expect. The title sounded not very plausible to me! I mean, the conventional wisdom states that menopause is basically the end of the good life for women. Once we are past child-bearing age, our juices dry up and our skin shrivels and we might as well lay down and die. Right? Maybe not...

Apparently, menopause can usher in a whole new, second half of life for women. And according to Dr. Northrup, this second half can be even better than the first! Yes, she is really serious about this.

Let me quote:

"The truth is that women over 50 are just hitting their stride. Fifty marks the beginning of the best years of our lives, including the best sex of our lives...Our bodies were designed to experience unlimited pleasure--and experiencing this pleasure is part of being vibrantly healthy at any age."

Just an aside: when I first heard people talking about "fifty shades of gray" I thought it was a story about older folks rediscovering sex. Sort of like that new movie with Meryl Streep. Something about hope? Truly. I thought the gray part had to do with gray hair. (If you don't know anything about this dreadful book, the only thing you really need to know is DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!)

Anywho...if you are a woman reading this and thinking that I may have gone completely off my rocker, you should probably run straight over to your local library or bookshop and DEMAND a copy of Dr. Northrup's book. Because it is your right to fully enjoy the physical pleasures of your body! Most of the time I am encouraging you to do your push-up's and eat your kale, and those things are still very important, but great sex is right up there with getting plenty of high quality sleep, drinking enough water, and eating organic whole foods. Can you live without sexual pleasure? Sure. But life is way better WITH it!

So quit reading this boring blog and get busy! I will understand if you don't have time to post a comment...

Comments