Take a Hike!

Today is Yom Kippur. I am not fasting today. I've instituted a weekly fast on Saturdays, and once a week feels like enough to me. Instead, my hubby and I are going for a hike.

Whenever I contemplate the things in life that really make me happy, that put a smile on my face and in my heart, hiking is at the top of that list. Most of my top ten are activities that are fairly active. I love swimming in lakes and natural bodies of water, walking on beaches and hunting for treasures, and climbing up mountains. But a walk anywhere green and leafy will do!

Today we are exploring Greenbrier State Park in Boonsboro, Maryland. I've never been there before, although it is not terribly far from my home in western Howard County. There is a large, man-made lake. (Did you know that all the lakes in Maryland are man-made?) And abundant hiking trails, including a portion of the Appalachian Trail. There is a sandy beach for swimming, canoe rentals, and a nature center.

On the way home, we plan to stop for Greek food at a tiny take-out place inside a Sunoco gas station! I first read about this place years ago, and I have been dying to try it ever since. I will have to cheat a bit on my Whole Foods Challenge, but I am throwing caution to the wind! How could anyone turn down an excellent gyro? With fries! Yes, I will even eat a pita bread, probably.

I hope you are also enjoying a day off from your normal routine. If you are celebrating Yom Kippur, I wish you a joyous feast after your fast.

Comments