Autumn Kale Soup

Now that the first frost has spread its icy white fingers across the fields and gardens, it is time to start making some soup. To tell you the truth, I've been having soup for lunch almost every single day for more than a month now. Maybe I should rename this blog Balance SOUP! The thought of a salad right now is so unappealing! All cold and crisp...yuck.

No, it is definitely the season for soup! And the one I made most recently is a gorgeous blend of fall colors and hearty, rich flavors. Plus, this soup is completely vegan! (Is that a plus for you? It is not really a plus for me, but it is the truth.) I almost never make soup without meat it, but this recipe sounded so good, I decided not to mess with it. Well, not that much, anyway.

I found the recipe for Tuscan-Style Kale Soup in my new favorite cookbook, SAVEUR: The New Comfort Food. This soup is a version of ribollita, an Italian soup which is usually cooked twice, the second time with an addition of stale bread which thickens it. Since I don't normally eat bread, or keep any in the house, I substituted leftover mashed potatoes. If you have some stale sourdough bread lying around, you could throw that in instead!

Ingredients:

2 TB olive oil
1/4 cup chopped flat parsley
3 ribs of celery, chopped
2 large cloves of garlic, chopped
2 large carrots, chopped
1 large sweet onion, chopped
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
14 oz. can diced tomatoes with juice
1 pound chopped Tuscan kale (lacinato)
15 oz. can cannellini beans
1 cup mashed potatoes
water

Heat a large soup kettle over medium heat. Add olive oil and all vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir frequently as they brown for about 15 minutes. Add tomatoes, kale and beans. Cover with 6-8 cups water. Bring to boil then simmer, uncovered, at least 30 minutes or until kale is soft. Add mashed potatoes and cook another 5-10 minutes. Taste and correct seasonings. Makes at least 4 large servings. Enjoy!


Comments