Boarman's Market

For our 21st wedding anniversary, Mr. Balancing Act and I visited Boarman's Market, a local grocery store/butcher shop/deli in Highland, Maryland. I wanted to buy my husband some meat.

And not just any old meat. I read a few reviews on the web and heard that Boarman's makes their own sausages and bacon. My husband and I are both fans of excellent pork products, and the fact that these are locally produced was an added bonus.



Once upon a time, Boarman's must have been the only grocery store for miles in any direction. It sits on the corner of Rt. 108 and 216, once surrounded only by farmland. It has been years since we had driven past this intersection. Today, the landscape is dotted with shopping centers, upscale developments, and businesses instead of corn fields.

This market seems to have remained unchanged, despite the massive development on all sides. You can still find your basic groceries, including fresh fruit and veggies, breads, beer and wine, a deli counter, and the famed butcher shop. Outdoors, there are live plants, pumpkins, and all types of gourds for sale. The young man who assisted me with my order said he is the seventh generation to be working behind that meat counter! Talk about continuity! He explained that the shop has been making the sausage from the same recipe since his great-great-great grandfather's time. (Possibly I am omitting a great or two.)



I purchased a pound of sausage meat ($3.79/lb) which I plan to use tonight in a meatloaf, combined with ground beef. I also bought a pound of homemade smoked bacon ($5.99/lb) and a smoked pork shank ($2.49/lb). After I test out a few recipes, I will report back to you and share the ones I think you might like.

The gifts for my husband were wrapped in brown butcher's paper, just like in the old days! If you want to step back in time, without leaving Howard County, Boarman's Market is a fun and frugal way to reminisce. The prices may not have remained the same for seven generations, but they are still a bargain!

hocofoods@@@

Comments

  1. Thank you!! Just wanted to let you know that we've featured this article on our Facebook page: http://balancesalad.blogspot.com/2012/10/boarmans-market.html. Hope to see you again soon!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!