Creamy Brussels Sprouts with Bacon

Yes, you read that correctly! And if you are not already a fan of Brussels sprouts, this recipe will change your mind so fast you might get whiplash. So watch out.

As a kid, I never ate Brussels sprouts. I think my mother had them as a child and hated them, so we were never given a chance to sample them for ourselves. I discovered the frozen kind after I had kids of my own. Funnily enough, my youngest daughter LOVED them from the start and often requested them as her favorite veggie. (She has since decided that she hates pretty much everything green.) I make the Hanover's Steam in the Bag Petite Brussels Sprouts almost weekly now. And for this recipe, Trader Joe's carries fresh shredded Brussels Sprouts in their refrigerated section. So easy!

The original recipe for this dish came to me in my email inbox from FineCooking.com. If you go to their website, you can sign up to get a recipe delivered daily. If you like them on Facebook, the same recipes will pop up in your news feed on occasion. Many of these recipes are keepers, and even if I end up doctoring them to make them healthier or more balanced, I still appreciate the ideas and taste combinations. Fine Cooking is also a fantastic magazine in print form and worth every penny of the quite costly subscription rate.

I played around with this recipe a bit because I didn't want to serve the dish with toast and poached eggs. I normally avoid bread and all products made with wheat flour. And I like poached eggs, but I was only looking for a vegetable dish last night. If you want to make it a meal, poach or fry an egg or two per person and place them on top.

Ingredients:
8 slices bacon, cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1 large shallot, minced
10 oz. (4 cups) medium Brussels sprouts, trimmed and shredded (use the slicing blade on a food processor)
1/3 cup heavy cream (you can use a combination of whole milk and heavy cream, also)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400F. In a large, oven-proof skillet, cook the bacon until brown and crisp. Reserve bacon pieces and drain off all the bacon fat except for 1 TB. Saute shallot in fat for 2 minutes. Add brussels sprouts and continue to cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour in cream and cover pan tightly. Bake for about 30 minutes, until liquid is reduced down and thickened and veggies are soft. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Makes about 4 servings.

Comments