Fennel Cooked in Cream

This recipe is from Saveur: The New Comfort Food, which I borrowed from our local library. I already waxed rapturous about the photography, but now I have tried a couple of recipes and I am seriously in love! Wait 'til you taste this one...

PLEASE don't start whining about all the saturated fat in this dish! You don't have to eat it everyday! And you don't have to scarf down an enormous serving, either. But do try a little as a side dish, maybe for a fancy meal when you have company over. I tell you, this stuff is da bomb! It is so rich that a very small portion is extremely satisfying. And the only kind of fat that you really need to avoid completely is trans-fat (partially hydrogenated vegetable shortening).

I cut the recipe in half, and also cut the amount of heavy cream in half again. That would be a quarter for those of us who are math-challenged! (I speak for myself here.) I used whole milk for the rest of the liquid. I know some of you skim milk drinkers out there are terrified of this, but don't even bother with this dish unless you are going all the way. Or at least half the way. The combination of the subtle sweetness of the fennel with the salty richness of the cream and cheese is what puts this dish over the top.

Ingredients:

2 medium sized fennel bulbs, cut into thin wedges (I used only one.)
2 cups heavy cream (I used 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup whole milk.)
1 and 1/2 cups shredded Parmesan cheese (I used about 3/4 cup)
sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
4 TB cold butter, cut into small cubes (I used about 2 TB.)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Toss fennel with cream (milk, if using) and salt and pepper. Pour mixture into a greased, oven proof gratin dish or skillet. Sprinkle with half the grated cheese. Dot with butter. Cover dish and bake for 1 hour. (About 45 minutes for one fennel bulb.)

Uncover dish and sprinkle with remaining half of the cheese. Bake another 30 minutes until golden and bubbly on top. Serve immediately. Serves 6-8 (original) or about 4 (my version). If you don't love this dish to pieces, there is no hope for you.

Comments