Primal Pumpkin Bread

As I promised, I am posting this recipe while giving it a go in my own kitchen. After surviving Hurricane Sandy mostly unscathed (roof leaking in several new places now, minor damage, but only a 2-hour power loss), I decided it was time to celebrate with a bit of baking. My daughter was begging for cupcakes, but being the meanest mother on earth I opted instead for this grain-free loaf. However, I did throw in some chocolate chips.

I found the original version of this recipe on the Joyful Abode blog. If you take a gander at her website, she has MANY awesome-looking recipes which are all very healthy, grain-free, easy to make, and delicious. (www.joyfulabode.com.) I made a few changes and additions, although I did measure my ingredients (mostly) in order to replicate the very yummy-looking loaf in her photograph.

The final product took slightly longer than the 45 minutes to bake completely. And the resulting loaf is SUPER moist, with great flavor, not overly sweet, and very yummy. The pumpkin flavor is somewhat subtle. I think I would possibly go heavier on the spices next time. The orange rind is awesome with the chocolate chips, so I would definitely keep that combo!

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup almond butter (another nut butter can be substituted, but I used almond)
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/3-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 4 Tbsp melted butter (or coconut oil)
  • 1/4 cup honey (I used about 2 TB plus 1 TB molasses)
  • Generous sprinkling of cinnamon
  • Another generous sprinkling of pumpkin pie spice blend (or you could do your favorite combo/ratio of spices)
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp lemon juice (I used fresh squeezed orange juice and a bit of rind as well)
  • butter for the loaf pan

 Preheat oven to 325F and butter a loaf pan. Mix liquid ingredients well. Add spices and baking soda. (I used cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.) Add lemon juice last and stir briefly. (Here you can also add chocolate chips, chopped nuts, raisins, or seeds. I added about 1/3 cup chocolate chips and a teaspoon of chia seeds for a tiny bit of crunch.) Bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out the loaf. ENJOY!

Comments