Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

As promised, here is the pumpkin pie filling recipe which I plan to pair with the pumpkin seed crust. This recipe is taken from Marcia Adams' Heirloom Recipes, the companion cookbook to her television series of the same name. This book was originally published in 1994, so it is not new. But it is filled with homey, traditional Amish and country recipes that I totally love.

As you will see, this pie filling contains an equal balance of apple butter and pumpkin puree. If you want your pie to be more pumpkin-y, I would suggest shifting that ratio. Although I am printing the recipe exactly as it appears in the book, this is just my jumping-off point. I rarely follow any recipe exactly. I take the ideas as more of a suggestion and go from there.

Since the apple butter contains plenty of sweetness, I will probably reduce the amount of added sugar in my pie. Also the recipe calls for evaporated milk. I will substitute heavy cream and whole milk, half each. Yes, this will add more fat to my pie, but as we all know, fat is flavor! I am not looking for a low-calorie dessert. Just a delicious one with slightly less sugar.

Ingredients:

3 large eggs
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 cup apple butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teas. Angostura bitters (I will delete this.)
1/2 teas. cinnamon
1/2 teas. ginger
1/2 teas. nutmeg
1/4 teas. salt
1 cup evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 375F. Prepare pie crust of your choice. To make filling, begin by beating eggs. Blend ingredients into eggs in order above. Pour filling into pie shell and bake 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean from center of pie. If desired, you can add the topping below 15 minutes BEFORE the pie has finished baking. This pie is also delicious with just a circle of pecan halves placed around the rim to decorate.

Optional Streusel Topping:

1/2 cup flour (I might use rolled oats for this, or whole wheat flour.)
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup chopped pecans
3 tablespoons butter, softened

Use pastry cutter or two forks to blend ingredients for topping. Sprinkle over pie when almost finished baking. Return pie to oven for final 15 minutes of cooking. Remove from oven and cool completely before serving with a dollop of whipped cream.

Comments