Daube Provencal (Beef Stew from Provence)

Yes, another beef stew! If you are one of those red-meat haters, what can I say? Beef is one of the most nutritious foods one can eat, being high in protein (and the highest quality protein, at that), iron, B-vitamins, and chromium (a mineral that helps keep blood sugar levels steady and diminishes cravings for refined carbs and sugar).

I went for more than a decade without eating red meat until I became pregnant for the first time. My body told me in no uncertain terms that I NEEDED red meat. Pronto! Once I began eating enough high quality protein, I noticed many symptoms of my high-carb diet began to disappear. My moods stabilized and I no longer raged with my monthly cycle. I stopped craving bagels, muffins, cookies, and junk foods constantly. My problem with yeast infections miraculously vanished. My hair and nails grew stronger, less brittle. My body composition began to shift toward more muscle. Of course, you don't need to eat red meat to see all of these benefits, but you do need to adjust your diet away from the grains and sugars and toward enough high quality protein sources such as beef, fish, lamb, chicken, eggs, and dairy.

Anyway! The recipe for this stew comes from America's Test Kitchen. I have been watching their DVD's which I discovered in my local library. (Although lately, I have switched over to Downton Abbey!) The Daube contains many assertive flavors, and some elements you might not think of adding to a beef stew. I deleted a couple of items from the ingredients list (either because I didn't have those or chose not to use them) and made certain adjustments to compensate. I will list all the ingredients below with my changes added in parentheses.

Ingredients:

3 and 1/2 pound chuck eye roast, with large pieces of fat removed, cut into 2" cubes
Salt and black pepper
1 bottle red wine, Cabernet recommended (I deleted this.)
5 oz. salt pork (I deleted this, too.)
1 cup porcini mushrooms, chopped (You could substitute portobello.)
Zest of one orange, sliced thinly
5 anchovies, minced finely
4 TB olive oil
1 cup nicoise olives (You can also use Kalamata.)
4 large carrots, cut in 1" pieces
2 onions, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1 cup diced tomatoes (I used the whole can with the juice.)
2 TB tomato paste
1/3 cup flour (I deleted this. The broth was soupy rather than thick, but delicious.)
1 cup chicken broth (I used 2 cups.)
1 cup water (I deleted this.)
5 springs of thyme and 2 bay leaves
2 TB parsley, chopped
(I added 2 cups green peas also.) 

Preheat oven to 300F. Season meat well with salt and pepper. In a heavy Dutch oven, heat 2 TB olive oil over medium heat. Sear half of the meat cubes on each side, about 8 minutes per batch. Remove meat from pan and sear remaining cubes in 2 TB olive oil. Remove from pan. Add onions, carrots, garlic, tomato paste, and salt pork to pan. Stir over medium heat until onions are soft. Add flour, if using, and cook for one minute. Add wine, if using, plus chicken broth and water. Scrape bottom of pan well. Add orange zest, olives, anchovies, thyme, bay leaves, and mushrooms. Cover pot and braise in oven for 3 hours. Remove from oven and add parsley. (Add frozen green peas at this point, if using.) Makes at least 8 servings. Great with mashed potatoes.

Comments