Edamame Succotash

We are coming down to the wire: Thanksgiving Day is almost here and I am posting the last of the recipes for my own feast. My daughter is coming home from college and the pots and pans will soon be flying! I can't wait to cook with her this year.

I will apologize ahead of time if my blog becomes irregular during the coming week. I'm sure you all will understand if I focus more attention on my family and skip a day or two of blogging. I wouldn't blame you if you skipped a week of reading!

Succotash is a very traditional Thanksgiving recipe which dates all the way back to the Narragansett Indians. They cooked corn and beans in bear fat and called it "misickquatash" according to The Thanksgiving Table by Diane Morgan. Although that sounds delicious to me, the version I plan to make this year is slightly more colorful and not so traditional.

Ingredients:

1 lb. frozen white sweet corn (Trader Joe's is really great!)
3 TB unsalted butter (or olive oil)
2 medium zucchini, diced finely
1 sweet onion, diced finely
2 red bell peppers, diced finely
1 lb. frozen edamame, shelled (Lima beans are more traditional and will work well, too.)
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
Salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large, heavy skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and zucchini, stirring until both are soft. Add red peppers and stir another 3 minutes. Add edamame and corn, cooking until both are warmed through and soft. Add parsley right before serving and season to taste. Can be made ahead and reheated or served immediately while hot. Serves 10-12.

Comments