Keep It Simple, Sweetheart

When we are talking about the holidays, and in particular Thanksgiving, you may not always want to keep it simple. After all, if you have invited guests that you absolutely must impress with your culinary prowess, this may not be the time for simplifying. Maybe it will be the time for building a six foot sugar sculpture shaped like a wild turkey?

I am planning, however, to pick and choose when it comes to fancying up or keeping it simple. Usually, I cut corners in a few places. I have been known to purchase frozen pie crusts as rolling out dough is a job I just abhor. But I have found a pie crust recipe this year that speaks to me, so I may be pulling out that dusty rolling pin. To balance things out, I will simplify in other areas.

For example, I always roast sweet potatoes whole, in their skins. I do this practically year round as those little tubers are darn delicious. To me, they need absolutely nothing else to adorn them. Not even butter or salt. So there you have a fantastic and beautiful dish that demands almost no preparation whatsoever. Just pull them out of the oven when they are soft, let them cool until you can handle them, remove the skins, done. No marshmallows on top! Completely unnecessary.

I know some people dislodge a can of solid cranberry sauce into a bowl and stick that on the table. I'd like to tell you that this is a legitimate way of saving precious time, but I don't think so. Cranberry sauce is SO easy to make from scratch. It takes minutes on the stovetop. Plus, you can make your homemade version days in advance. It will keep beautifully in the fridge, taking up almost no space. And when you make your own, you decide how much and what type of sweetener to use. Honey, maple syrup, stevia, or agave syrup are all possibilities. You can also blend other assorted fruits into your sauce, making cran-raspberry, cran-apple, or even cran-rhubarb sauce. I have never tried that last one, so that could be going a little bit too far.

As far as veggies go, there are many easy solutions to fantastic dishes. Frozen veggies are often just as good, and sometimes even better, than their fresh counterparts. These days, there are microwavable bags that couldn't be easier to use. Veggies come out of the microwave steaming hot in just 5 minutes with zero preparation from you. I personally love Hanover's Petite Brussels Sprouts. Dump the bag in a dish with a bit of butter, a dash of salt and pepper, and you are set!

So my advice is to decide where your work is going to have the biggest impact, and focus on those dishes that are so much better when made from scratch. If you can purchase pre-made products that you love, that are made from healthy, natural ingredients, which make your life easier, I say go for it! Either way, remember to enjoy the process as well as the final product. Cooking with your family or friends can make the holiday more fun and festive.

Comments