Pumpkin Pancakes

Let me start with an apology: I'm sorry if you are a grain-free Paleo person, but I did use a little white whole wheat flour in these pancakes. (I am covering my ears right now to ward off your screams!) I know, I know. And wait 'til you read the recipe and see that I even used a tiny bit of white sugar! YIKES! Am I truly losing my mind?

The reason I strayed from my normal grain-free and sugar-free routine is my daughter. (Good excuse?) I created these pancakes specifically for her, and I wanted her to eat them. I could have tried to finagle some ground almonds or something, but I was afraid that she would turn her nose up at them. She didn't even touch the Primal Pumpkin Bread I made recently, even though I put chocolate chips in the batter. (I'm not really complaining because that loaf was so darn good I had no trouble hogging it all to myself.) But I figured that just getting her to eat a pancake containing pumpkin was a feat in itself. Making it grain-free would be pushing it too far.

And the results of my experiment were truly superb. Although I made the whole batch for my daughter, Mr. Balancing Act and I could not resist snagging a few. The pancakes came out deliciously moist and incredibly tender, but not overly heavy or soggy. I guarantee you will love these! Even your snide and surly teenagers will wolf them down. Mine did.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup pumpkin puree (I used organic from Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used nonfat Kirkland's brand from Costco)
2 large eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3 teaspoons sugar (you could substitute Truvia or stevia powder or just leave it out)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
1 TB whole milk (or water)
Butter for pan

Blend first 6 ingredients well. Sprinkle in flour and baking soda and stir just until blended. Add milk or water to thin batter slightly if it seems too thick. Batter should pour easily. Heat about a tablespoon of butter in a large non-stick skillet. Keep the pancakes on the small side because they will be very moist and tend to tear easily. Brown lightly on both sides. Makes about 12-16 small pancakes, depending on size. Serve with warmed honey, maple syrup, or spread with almond butter and apple butter. WARNING: these pancakes are scary good!

Comments