Pumpkin Seed Pie Crust

This is a recipe from Whole Grains: Every Day Every Way by Lorna Sass. I know I have shared other recipes by her before because I love her ideas. She has published more than a dozen cookbooks. Her recipes are unique and quirky, combining foods in ways you might not think of, but will love once you try!

This pie crust is a perfect example. I have wanted to try this crust for ages, but as I have mentioned before, I am very lazy. I often buy a frozen crust (horrors!) from Trader Joe's for my holiday pies. (Trader Joe's frozen pie crusts contain only butter, no trans-fats.) But this year, I am trying new recipes in search of taste PLUS nutrition. I will simplify other parts of my menu. AND I can make this pie in advance. Unfortunately, Sass has paired the crust with a pumpkin pie recipe that looks fairly plain to me, so I am only sharing the crust part of this recipe. I plan to make a different version of pumpkin pie filling which combines canned pumpkin with apple butter for a unique flavor. I will share that portion of the recipe soon, I promise.

I tend to like nutty, whole grain baked goods with plenty of texture. I have always preferred whole grain breads, cookies, and cakes to more refined ones. If you do not, then you will want to skip this crust and stick with your regular recipe.

Ingredients:

1 cup spelt flour, plus more for rolling out dough (or whole wheat)
1/4 cup hulled, raw pumpkin seeds (or walnuts or sunflower seeds...)
2 TB light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 TB cold, unsalted butter, cut into small bits
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

Put flour, pumpkin seeds, brown sugar, and salt into bowl of food processor. Pulse until seeds are finely ground. Add butter and pulse until dough resembles course crumbs. Add 3 TB cold water and vinegar and pulse until dough forms a ball. Gather dough and flatten into a disk. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate 30 minutes.

Place rack in center of oven and heat to 400F.

Roll chilled dough out to a circle 12 inches in diameter. Transfer to 10 inch pie plate and cover dough with sheet of foil. Weigh down with pie weights and bake 15 minutes.

Prepare pumpkin pie filling of your choice and follow recipe for baking. Makes one bottom crust for a 10 inch pie. Serves 8 people.

Comments