Turkey Mulligatawny

If you are anywhere near as big a Seinfeld fan as I am, you must have seen the episode with the Soup Nazi. More than once. Kramer becomes addicted to the amazing soup and eventually is banned forever due to George's inept ordering. At least that's the way I remember it!

Today's recipe is very loosely based on the Mulligatawny Soup created by the real soup Nazi, an actual chef named Al Yeganeh. In the fantastic cookbook Top Secret Recipes Unlocked, Todd Wilbur has cloned the Soup Nazi's best work. Not only that, but you can prepare all kinds of popular fast foods at home with this book. I'm not suggesting all the recipes are as healthy as this one, though.

My version deviates severely from the original. First, I wanted to use up the last remnants of the Thanksgiving bird. I had 2 drumsticks and 1 half a wing left. So these went into the pot, along with some celery leaves and parsley stems, to create a rich stock. I was also missing several key ingredients, but as you may have noticed, that never stops me from attempting a recipe. The end product that I came up with may not resemble a true mulligatawny much at all. But I must say, it is truly delicious and extremely healthy! I hope you enjoy it, too.

Ingredients:

About 1 quart rich turkey or chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
2 large carrots, sliced
1 zucchini, diced (Eggplant can also be used.)
2 medium parsnips, sliced
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup pumpkin puree (or sweet potato puree)
About 1 cup shredded turkey or chicken meat
2-3 large cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/4 teas. fresh thyme leaves
2-3 green onions, sliced
1/4 cup shelled pistashios (Cashews are also a great option. Or both!)
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1 TB lemon juice
2 TB sugar or honey
2 TB golden raisins
2 TB shredded coconut
1 teas. sea salt
1 teas. black pepper
1/4 teas. cayenne
1 teas. turmuric
1 teas. cumin
1 teas. ground ginger (fresh would be fine, too)
1 cup frozen corn kernels

Bring the stock to a boil in a 3 quart sauce pan and add carrots, parsnips, and zucchini. Cook about 5 minutes before adding the remaining veggies and garlic. Add spices and all remaining ingredients except the frozen corn. Simmer soup for at least 45 minutes. The longer you simmer, the thicker the soup will get. Add frozen corn just before serving. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.

NOTES: I normally do not add sugar to a soup, but this soup needs a little sweetener to balance the flavors. I neglected to add the butter in the original recipe. I actually forgot. The soup was delicious nonetheless. If you wanted a richer soup, you could add a bit of butter, coconut oil, heavy cream, or yogurt before serving.


Comments