Butternut Squash Tart

I found this recipe in Cooking Light magazine, the November, 2012 issue. I took one look at the accompanying photograph and knew I'd definitely be trying it.

As usual, I made some slight (read: major) alterations to the original recipe. No, I can't leave well enough alone. It is not in my nature. The original looked mighty tempting in the photo, but my final product tasted fantastic and ended up quite a bit higher in both protein and fiber than the original. I ditched the original crust completely as it used refined flour and substituted my own whole oat and nut crust. This is a healthy and gorgeous-looking dish that will work well at a holiday gathering. It can be served hot, warm, or even room temperature on a buffet.

Ingredients:

One large butternut squash, roasted, cooled, peeled, and mashed
3 large eggs, beaten
2-3 TB heavy cream or sour cream (Greek yogurt might also work.)
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
About one cup shredded Gruyere cheese, divided (or swiss)

3 strips of nitrite-free bacon (or pancetta) chopped
5 ounces sliced shiitake mushroom caps

About 1 cup walnuts, raw
About 1 cup rolled oats
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 400F. Place oats and walnuts in food processor with salt. Pulse until dough begins to clump together. Dump dough into deep dish pie pan. Press with fingertips along sides and then bottom of pan. Bake crust for about 8-10 minutes, just until lightly browned and fragrant. Remove from oven.

Mash roasted squash with eggs, cream, and half the shredded cheese. Add seasonings and pour into crust. Bake about 20 minutes and remove from oven.

While tart is baking, saute chopped bacon over medium heat. When the bacon fat begins to render, add mushrooms and stir constantly. Turn off heat when mushrooms are lightly browned and bacon pieces are crisp. Remove from fat with slotted spoon and drain lightly before scattering mushrooms and bacon over top of tart. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Return tart to oven for another 20 minutes or until slightly puffy and golden brown on top. Remove from oven and allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before slicing into 8 servings.

NOTE: Being exceptionally lazy, I left out the sauted onion in the butternut squash mixture. I just didn't feel like slicing and sauteing TWICE to make one tart! But hind sight is always 20/20 so I now realize that some onion would really be lovely in this recipe. Next time, I hope to have a bit more energy to put toward the task.


Comments