Christmas Dinner (Prime Rib)

I am lucky to have both Jewish and Christian traditions in my family. This year I was traveling during the start of Hanukkah and dropped the ball completely. The menorah never made it out of the closet, the latkes were never fried, the gold coins never even purchased. A total bust. Oh, well. There is still Christmas!

This year, I decided to cook a traditional British Christmas dinner. I bought a Prime Rib Roast and will make Yorkshire Puddings (small, individual ones like my mother always makes) and brussels sprouts. My mother also roasts chunks of potato to a crispy golden brown in the fat next to the roast. Yes, this meal is a departure from the Zone diet, as there will be too many carbs overall. And Yorkshire puddings are similar to popovers, made from a flour, milk, and egg batter. But the holidays are a good opportunity to institute a cheat meal. If you go straight back to your Zone diet the following day, little or no damage will be done!

British cooking is very simple, to put it mildly. Growing up, we never had many herbs or spices in the house. We ate chops and roasts, seasoned with a little salt and perhaps some black pepper if my mother was feeling really wild and crazy. So this Prime Rib will be a very minimal affair. When you purchase an expensive piece of meat, I feel the most important thing is not to ruin it completely. (Yes, I have been there, done that. I can remember several sad holiday disasters.)

So I have turned to the people who know the best way to cook everything: America's Test Kitchen. I took a book out from the library titled Steaks, Chops, Roasts, and Ribs. If you are a meat eater and a meat lover, this could become your new favorite cookbook. The authors of Cooks Illustrated magazine (same people as America's Test Kitchen) always include a LONG explanation of the techniques and ingredients used in every recipe. If you are not into the WHY behind the cooking, you can just skip over that part. I personally find it all very interesting!

So I will roast my seasoned (salt and pepper only!) Prime Rib at a shockingly low temperature: 250F. According to my cookbook, this will ensure that the meat cooks slowly and evenly, retaining all of its delicious juices. To get a crackling brown crust on the outside, I will sear the roast on the stovetop before tranfering to the oven. The roast should register 130F on an instant read thermometer when removed from the oven. Let it stand, tented with foil, for another 20-30 minutes before carving. Very simple!

I am planning to post my Yorkshire Pudding recipe before Christmas, but as you can imagine, the days are getting packed with activities, visitors, and outings. I will wish you all a Merry Christmas now, just in case I can't find the time to write another blog before the big day. Have a very joyous, healthy, and safe holiday!


Comments

  1. Sounds wonderful.

    We grilled a whole mess of ribeye steaks and made creamed spinach and mac & cheese. Anna's parents brought over some Korean dishes and we finished everything off with pecan pie and cappuccinos.

    It was a perfect day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy. Sounds delish.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Please share your helpful questions and comments here! Thanks for being part of this balanced community!