Kettlebells

For those of you who may be new to the fitness industry, kettlebells do not involve either kettles or bells. Perhaps I should post a picture?

 This is what a kettlebell looks like. The one above is 32 kilograms or more than 65 pounds. The one I used this morning was half of that weight. Still darn heavy, though!

Because it is the holiday season, and my fall classes ended last week but my winter classes do not begin until January, I have a bit of a break. During my break, I could sit on my butt. I could lounge around in my pajamas eating bonbons and sipping hot chocolate with whipped cream on top while watching multiple DVD sets of Downton Abbey. AS IF!

No, during my break from teaching bootcamp, Zumba, Pilates, and Yoga classes, I have decided to explore the kettlebell.

Why? Lots of reasons!

First, it is a very good idea to mix it up. "It" being your fitness routine. If you normally run, you might want to try swimming laps, roller-blading, cross-country skiing, or riding a bike once in a while. If you normally do Pilates or yoga, you might want to try lifting some heavy weights or doing something aerobic. My normal routine does involve some heavy lifting, but it is always my own body weight. So on my breaks, I try to lift something else instead. And this time, I am choosing kettlebells.

The signature move one executes with the kettlebell is a swing. If you want to see what this swing looks like, I suggest watching some youtube videos. The swing combines both upper and lower body movement and can strengthen muscles from the upper back and shoulders down through the lower back, hips, buttocks, and thighs. But mainly the butt. If you are looking for the perfect exercise to build, shape, and define your glutes, look no further.

Before beginning my practice today, I did a thorough warm-up so that I was already sweating before I entered the garage, home of the kettlebells. I also read through the chapter on the basic swing in KETTLEBELL RX: The Complete Guide for Athletes and Coaches by Jeff Martone. If you are seriously considering adding kettlebells to your life, you will definitely want to own this book. It is filled with important information about how to use the kettlebell correctly, without injuring your body. Martone gives numerous corrections, with photographs, so you know exactly how to fix the most commons errors in swinging. The other thing you should do is start out with an experienced coach or take a kettlebell class!

Next I asked my husband, Mr. Balancing Act, how many swings he thought I should do for my first practice. Being a conservative fellow, he recommended a hundred. 10 sets of 10. Or 5 sets of 20. Or 4 sets of 25. He did all that math right in his head. I commented that he was just like Rain Man.

So I hoisted that bad boy and began swinging. I settled on 5 sets of 20 when I discovered that I was able to execute 20 swings without falling down or dying. I took short breaks between sets, singing loudly and pretending that 100 swings wasn't going to be too bad. After 80, I considered stopping. But since I didn't really HAVE to, I completed the last set. Walking back inside my house, I noted that my legs already felt like jelly. I am prepared for some wicked soreness tomorrow.

It is NOT recommended that you swing a kettlebell on a daily basis. I think twice per week is going to be plenty for me. I might add a few more moves, like a kettlebell deadlift, to my routine. But short and sweet is the rule for lifting anything heavy. A twenty minute workout, plus a warm-up and a stretch afterward, is easily enough. More is not more in this case. More is just crazy.

So let me know if you decide to pick up a kettlebell, or choose a different way to make the most of your holiday break. Whatever you do, make it fun for yourself. Sing out loud and amuse your neighbors, too, while you are at it!

Comments