Merry Christmas Cookies

For those of you who do not celebrate Christmas, you can make this cookie dough and cut your cookies into any shape you like.  I have a pretty wacky collection of cookie cutters which I only get out once a year, right before Christmas. My daughters and I roll out and cut stars, hearts, diamonds, and clubs, turkeys, reindeer, bats and a big teddy bear. Although they don't all go together, we like our crazy hodge-podge. And Santa has never complained.

I am not claiming this to be a "healthy" recipe or something that you should bake year round. But I am also not the biggest Scrooge on earth (at last count I was only the second or third biggest), so I will be baking these cookies, sugar and all, with my daughters this year.

This original recipe is from Betty Crocker's New Picture Cookbook which my mother received as a wedding gift back in 1962. My mother gave me her copy of this precious cookbook, which is a first edition, published in 1961. I treasure it, although torn and splattered, as it is filled with recipes that she made for me when I was a child. Although I might alter a detail here or there, it is a wonderful treat to pass these recipes down to my girls.

Ingredients:

1/3 cup soft shortening (I only use unsalted butter, never margarine.)
1/3 cup sugar
1 egg
2/3 cup honey
1 teaspoon lemon extract
2 & 3/4 cups flour (I use Trader Joe's White Whole Wheat. This is a whole grain flour.)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt

Mix butter, egg, honey, and sugars until blended. Mix dry ingredients then add to the batter. Chill dough thoroughly. Then heat oven to 375F. Roll dough out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on lightly greased sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes, until golden. Cool completely and then decorate as desired. Makes about 5 dozen small (2 inch) cookies.

NOTE: I like to make a lemony glaze with about 1 tablespoon of lemon juice and a half cup (or more if needed) of confectioners sugar. You can add sprinkles or red hots on top of the wet glaze. We always give Rudolph a red hot nose.

Comments