Smokin' Hot

Sounds like a strip club, right? But no, Mr. Balancing Act and I visited this BBQ bar and grill in Glenwood for our last splurge of 2012. Both of us love Red Hot and Blue as well as Famous Dave's (two BBQ chain restaurants) so we were expecting to fall head-over-heels for this local establishment.

We started our meal with an order of crab dip fries to share. The serving was generous enough for two to share easily. And our server brought out 2 six-packs of their homemade BBQ sauces for us to use as well. I have to say, the sauces were the best thing about this place. The Alabama White (an unusual mayo-based sauce) was mildly spiked with horseradish, while the Black Jack offered a slightly sweet, spicy kick. However, the fries themselves were either burnt to a crisp (around the edges of the plate) or completely white and undercooked (underneath the dip.) The crab dip itself was fine, but the grated cheese on top was billed as cheddar and I tasted something more akin to American cheese. Not my favorite.

Our entrees were mistake number two. We both ordered the pulled pork sandwiches. I should have known better. I had done my usual pre-meal research and I had read a review which warned me in advance. But I didn't listen. And the reviewer was right on the money: the pulled pork was very wet. It tasted more like it had been steamed or boiled than smoked. The result of too much moisture in the meat was a completely soaked bottom bun, so wet it was impossible to pick up. If there is one thing I really detest, it is wet bread. Nothing could save this sandwich. Certainly not the cheap, white bun. Not the coleslaw on top. And not the run-of-the-mill potato chips on the side.

We did use a Groupon to receive half-price on this meal, so I can be grateful that we got off cheap this time. But I had high hopes for this place. It is close enough to our home that we could have become regulars. Like Norm at Cheers. Oh, well.

hocofoods@@@

Comments