Sugar-free Holiday Treats

As the holidays approach (and some are already in progress!) I find myself wondering how to be a good mother. My daughters are teenagers, so that whole Santa thing is totally over. And I don't want to make the holidays just a material event based on shopping. Nor do I want all of our festivities to center around making and eating sugar-laden treats like Christmas cookies and gingerbread houses. So what is a good mother to do? I need ideas!

I asked my hubby, Mr. Balancing Act, for some input. He suggested we could decorate the kettlebells out in the garage before we do a workout. Ho ho ho.

But after that initial joke, he did come up with some good ideas for holiday family fun. We plan to see Les Miserables when it comes out. We almost never go to the movies, and I have never even seen the original play, so I'm sure it will be a spectacular treat for all of us. And if you avoid the overpriced candy counter, the movies might be a perfectly healthy family excursion.

We will also go for a long walk around old town Ellicott City which will be decorated for the season. In addition to window shopping along Main Street, there is a beautiful paved trail which cuts through a wooded gorge in Oella. It is the ideal length, about a mile and a quarter, for a leisurely stroll with kids or dogs. Near the end of the trail is a bakery called The Breadery where they mill their own flour and bake fresh bread daily. If you want to buy your kids a fairly healthy treat, you can find whole grain muffins, rolls, and loaves here. You can also grab a cup of hot coffee or tea to warm you up.

Another wonderful spot which combines indoor shopping and outdoor strolling is the historic Savage Mill. Adjacent to the mill is another fairly short but scenic trail along the river. The only "problem" with this location is the Bonaparte Bakery, an authentic French bakery with the most amazing croissants. If you can resist the lure of French pastries, you are a stronger person than I am! Of course, one croissant will not be end of the world, but I am still hunting for family fun that is sugar-free...

I'm sure we will end up baking Christmas cookies from scratch because I am not a total Scrooge. I will post our recipe in an upcoming blog. I use a version of the original Betty Crocker Christmas cookie recipe which relies on honey and lemon extract for a slightly unusual flavor. My mother made these cookies for me way back in the 60's and 70's. I always use whole grain flour for a tad more nutrition, although it is not possible to pretend these cookies are truly healthy! (As much as I'd like to fool myself...)

My ongoing dilemma is how to make the holiday season festive and fun, without constantly turning to sugary treats. When my daughters were little, I really didn't worry about that as much. And one or two treats is no big deal. The problem is when every party, outing, and activity centers around plates of desserts and piles of candy. If any of you brilliant readers out there have more fabulous ideas for sugar-free family fun, I am all ears! Please share your plans and suggestions so we all can benefit from your brilliance.

hocofoods@@@

Comments