Back to Whole Foods

Here's my pledge to you: for the month of January, I will not post a single recipe containing sugar in any form. And since I usually post every new recipe I make, this will also help me stick to my clean eating plan.

How did you all do over the holidays? The period from Thanksgiving to New Year's usually means weight gain for most people. Did you gain? I gained three pounds this holiday season, which is less than half of my last year's debacle. This morning I weighed in and am already down a half pound. I think I lost most of that weight from crying all the way through Les Miserables yesterday at the movies. No popcorn. No diet coke. No candy. Just a large bucket of tears. I guess I should have known from the title, but I wasn't quite prepared for the completely unrelenting misery. I was wrung out by the end.

So I am back to my whole foods diet now. I made a large pot of Hoppin' John Soup yesterday as we needed something comforting after that movie. (The recipe can be found on yesterday's blogpost.) I was very pleased with the way it turned out. I did add almost a whole chicken, as I boiled down a carcass for the chicken stock and removed all the meat. This way, the soup has plenty of protein, as well as fat and carbs. Although I don't necessarily measure portions exactly, I am always aiming for a Zone diet balance of nutrients.

Maybe this month we can discover some whole foods that we haven't tried before? Last time, I found kholrabi in the supermarket which was new to me. I made a gratin which smoothed over the veggie's slight bitterness. This morning I read about a Peruvian restaurant opening in Howard County which serves grilled beef heart. Mr. HowChow insists this dish is delicious. This would be something new! And I'd like to keep finding new recipes that are satisfying without the need for sugar.

Please let me know what you discover during this first month of our new year. Eating healthy doesn't need to be boring!

hocofoods@@@

Comments