Bad Day?

This morning I was feeling so cocky. I thought I had my sugar cravings completely under control. I was thinking that a month without sugar was nothing! I could go two months, probably three. Who are we kidding? I could go a year, no sweat.

Then I taught a couple of classes. I got tired. I didn't have time for a nap. And it started to rain.

Mr. Balancing Act is following the Slow Carb diet this month, so HE gets a cheat day once a week. And he started bragging about all the CRAP he plans to eat! Talk about unfair. I started gazing longingly at my wine rack filled with bottles of Malbec. My favorite wine...but I am abstaining for the month of January.

UGH!

And then inspiration hit me, like a sweet slap in the face.

I had all kinds of sweet whole foods, right in my fridge and freezer. I could easily throw together a totally healthy meal with no added sugar which would nevertheless fulfill my craving for sweets! How, you ask?

I began with a quarter cup of frozen super sweet white corn from Trader Joe's. Yes, this is a whole food. And yet, it is probably one of the sweetest veggies out there. I added a heaping spoonful of black beans (not sweet) and then a half of a roasted sweet potato (VERY sweet!) On top of that, I diced a couple of ounces of roasted chicken breast (lean protein fights sugar cravings!) and topped it off with chunky salsa and a tablespoonful of Mexican shredded cheese. After a few minutes in the microwave, my dinner was bubbling hot. I scooped a dollop of guacamole on top and it was ready to eat.

This was so quick and easy to prepare, especially because every time I roast sweet potatoes, I make extra to keep on hand for just these types of emergencies. On a night when you prefer not to cook from scratch, a Mexican bowl is just the ticket. And it really hit the spot, zapping those crazy cravings for sweets and alcohol.

If you have come up with any great ideas for combating cravings, I'd love to hear them! I still have more than 2 weeks to go, and I might hit another rough patch...


Comments