Bangkok Delight

I had a delightful lunch out today with two amazing women. We shared lots of stories about the trials and tribulations of raising teenagers. Apparently I am not the only mother with daughters who are experts in the art of pushing buttons. And we also enjoyed a delicious Thai buffet.

If you have ever visited Bangkok Delight, which is located just off Columbia 100 Parkway near Route 100, you know this store-front restaurant is really quite beautiful on the inside. The paper umbrellas hanging from the ceiling are a unique visual twist. The white tablecloths lend a sense of elegance. And every table had fresh flowers on it.

But the new lunch buffet was the real reason we decided to visit. My friends and I are veterans of many an Indian buffet. We have tried them all, not just in Howard County, but also venturing south to Silver Spring several times. And I have eaten many dinners at Bangkok Delight, but always ordered the Pad Thai, one of my all-time favorite dishes in any cuisine. Once I tasted their Pad Thai, I knew I could never order anything else because nothing on the menu could possibly be better than that. And when I heard the Pad Thai was a staple on the lunch buffet, I knew there would be at least one dish for me to enjoy.

I have to admit, there were other yummy treats on hand at the lunch buffet. The lo mein was one of the less spicy choices, along with a mixed vegetable dish fairly typical of Chinese restaurants. Also wonton soup, deep-fried spring rolls, and a very simple salad with a couple of dressings. There was a vegetarian fried rice and a dish with tofu. The Pad Thai was made with only chicken (no shrimp) and next to it was a delicious basil chicken made with ground meat and large leaves of basil. All the dishes contained loads of very fresh, brightly colored, and still crunchy vegetables.

For dessert, a large tray of fresh orange slices and a smaller plate of store-bought cookies dipped in chocolate were available. The oranges were perfect: sweet, juicy, and very fresh. Altogether, there were not as many separate choices as one might normally find at a typical Indian buffet, but I found every dish I tried to be extremely fresh, hot, not overcooked, tasty, and appealing. This is quite a feat for a buffet.

The service at Bangkok Delight is also excellent and attentive. Our hot water was refilled more than once in our teapots. Our water glasses were also kept full. So if you are looking for a different type of buffet to try, Bangkok Delight definitely delivers on taste, quality, and atmosphere.

hocofoods@@@

Comments