Clothing Swap

Today's post is not about nutrition, food, recipes. Not even about fitness. I'm swerving into a different lane to talk about another passion of mine: fashion!

No, not really. That was a hilarious joke, but only if you have ever seen me in person. My teenaged daughter often tries to discuss fashion with me, but she always ends up frustrated. And I end up very confused.

She will say something like, "That outfit is totally hipster."

I will be like, "What's hipster?"

She will try to explain. I will scrunch up my forehead, wanting to understand. And yet, I can't. Yes, it is sad. I'm sure if I remember back far enough into my past, there was once a time when I understood a little bit about fashion. I think it was during Junior High.

But a clothing swap is safe for any person who wishes to trade currently unused, no-longer-fitting, the-wrong-color-for-my-complexion, rejected clothing with like-minded, tree-hugging, earth-friendly friends.

Honestly, I think the clothing swap is the very best idea anyone has ever come up with. Way more awesome than sliced bread. Here's how it works:

Someone offers to hold a swap in her home. Invitations are sent to all swap-minded friends. A large volume of people will insure many different sizes of clothing so everyone will hopefully find something they like to take home. I have also held book swaps, and cookbook swaps in particular, so the idea can be taken in many directions. Participants can bring jewelry, pocketbooks, shoes, CD's, etc. Large mirrors are useful as swappers might like to try on garments and admire themselves. A swap can be held indoors or out on a deck or patio, as long as there is enough privacy.

Once everyone has claimed all the stuff they want to take home, the leftovers are bagged and distributed to thrift stores or other programs for the needy. As you can see, a swap is a win-win-win situation. You win by cleaning out your closet and getting rid of clutter. You win by finding new-to-you treasures for free! And you win by helping the earth and those less fortunate by donating your stuff to a worthy cause. What is not to LOVE?

Comments